Monday, November 21, 2011

You can't change your world single handedly...

Day 25 - A song that makes you laugh
Life In One Day - Howard Jones

This one is an oldie and a goodie.  Let me tell you why...

The whole song is stressing that you should not try to live your life in one day.  Don't speed through the day just filling it with corporate nonsense.  The first line of the song is "The old man said to me, said don't take life so seriously."
I'm not going to lie, this is hard for me.  I feel the pressure of all my challenges and responsibilities pushing down on my shoulders.  Especially lately.  I feel so inadequate.  Anything I do is overshadowed by somebody else.  I feel like I'm slowly becoming a memory.  A thought of something that once was.  And in a sense that's true.  I used to be fun and light and could make people laugh.  Now it takes all my concentration just to get through a single conversation.  Just today in a work meeting when I was called upon to explain the purpose of the meeting, my manager said "Kristen talks?!"  Yes, I used to have a personality. You couldn't get me to shut up.  Now I push people away.  I'm cold.  I don't want to be bothered.
But I have come to the realization lately that this has to change.  I have to go back to being fun and goofy and spontaneous.
So what have I done?  I've made some big decisions.  I'm going to change my life.  I'm going to do things I've been saying I'll do for a long time.
In high school I had two spectacular friends.  We would sit and discuss our lives on golf courses, on roof tops, even on a trampoline.  Once when I was freaking out they got out a white board and plotted out my life for me.  They pushed me to be better.  And I was.  Because they cared enough to tell me the truth.  They saw my potential and told me how to reach it.
I've lost sight of that... sorry ladies...
So this is my plea:  Can we PLEASE have a get together?  Just the three of us?  Where we sit around and just make each other feel like we did back in those days?  Because honestly, you're the only two I really can expose all my secrets to.
But that's why this song makes me laugh.  I think of those days.  Putting starbursts on rooftops, throwing up oatmeal at the golf course, and you guys making fun of me for the way I jump on trampolines.  You taught me not to live my life in one day.  You told me that the future would take care of itself somehow.  So riddle me this ladies... are we still friends enough to do so?

Love and Rockets,
Rodney

p.s. I'm serious, let's get together.

1 comment:

  1. I was going to bring it up, your coldness was really freaking me out, I was like "WHAT THE POOP!?". Like at ikea when I offered you a chance to ride on the fun bus thing but you said no...but later you decided to push me and you freaked me out when I thought you let go of me...so cold... :)
    Now that you've finally decided to get things going again this is good news for our pending album!!!! haha

    ReplyDelete