Wednesday, July 27, 2011

By all means, take the front seat...

I don't know how to feel.
I can't be mad.
By all means, I have absolutely no reason to be mad.
It's not like they did this to hurt me.
They probably have no clue just how hard I'm taking this.
I can only sit here in shock.
The unthinkable has happened.

I thought things were going to turn out differently.
I thought I'd walk away with a smile.
Instead I sat there holding back the tears that were inevitable,
Laughing to cover the ones that escaped.

Here I sit.
In the backseat.
Don't worry, I've grown quite accustomed to all this space.
But when one calls shotgun and another jumps in,
especially when it's such a nice car,
one can only be a little deflated to sit alone in the back seat.
I know the seats well.
I've sat here before.
I know the motions to go through.

So why is it so hard this time?
Why was it suddenly next to impossible to breathe?
Why do I let this keep happening?
Why does it hurt so bad to think about?
Why can't I go through the motions this time?
I'm too scared to even glance at the seat now.
Why covet what I'll never have?

The best seat I'll get will be on a motorcycle.
No passenger.
The space will be suffocating.

Here I sit,
In the back seat,
Watching the passenger in shotgun have such a lovely time.

Deep breaths,
this could be a long ride.

1 comment:

  1. I know how you feel, the other day my friends came to pick me up and before I got in the car I thought "gotta make up my mind, which seat should I take? Kicken' in the front seat? Or sittin' in the back seat?" Then we went partyin' partyin' yeah

    ReplyDelete